<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://draft.blogger.com/navbar/14082424?origin\x3dhttp://mctwins.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Sunday, May 14, 2006
Happy Mother's Day
Today, for Mother's Day, I was asked to honor my best friend, Kristie, at church. I wanted to share it with those who didn't hear it at church.

Titus 2 3-5 says: “Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and to train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind and submissive to their husbands, that the word of God my not be reviled.”

I am thrilled to have the opportunity to honor my best friend, Kristie, on Mother’s Day. Even though we will both celebrate the same milestone birthday very soon, in my eyes she is an “older” woman because she has been and remains an excellent example to me. She is one who displays amazing humility and one who has taught me about biblical womanhood by her example.

Although Kristie and I met at freshman orientation in 1989, our friendship didn’t really begin until 1991. By that time we had both become Christians and were active members in Volunteers for Christ. Throughout college, we were inseparable.

Here’s where the “older woman” characteristics start to emerge. In 1996 Kristie married Matt. Their first son, Samuel, was born a year later with a second son, Josh, arriving 14 months later and Noah arriving 2 years after that. Needless to say, Kristie was a very busy woman as she was caring for her family. All this time, I was a single woman desiring to be married and have my own family. I frequently babysat for the Cormany family during this time. I had countless opportunities to see God’s work in Kristie’s life. I observed her being very patient with her young boys and growing in submission to her husband. She enjoyed being at home even if it was an 800 square foot apartment (with 5 people in it). Her servant’s heart was evident during this time. Even though she might not have realized it, she was serving me by allowing me to be a part of her family. Many times after work, I would ring the doorbell - just in time for a home-cooked meal. I loved being with her family since I didn’t have one of my own, and Kristie always graciously took me in without complaint. She fed me; she counseled me and corrected me. She even threw a surprise 30th birthday party for me. All of this while having three boys under three years old.

As the years pass, I have seen Kristie grow in humility. She’s always quick to admit when she’s wrong. She asks for any observations I see regarding her children. She is careful not to gossip or slander others, and she genuinely wants to serve people– whether that’s by making meals for families in her care group, keeping her friends’ children - usually after a last minute call for help, lining up others to serve, calling others to check-in on them, inviting families over for a meal. On Christmas Day 2003, Kristie and her family brought dinner to Rob and me at the hospital after the early arrival of our boys.

Here we are 17 years later, and our friendship has only grown (so have our families). Kristie, you have been there with me on the best day of my life and the worst day of my life – from my wedding day to my mother’s funeral. I am so grateful that God kept our friendship strong even when you were a wife and mother of three (now four) boys and I was a single woman with no prospect for marriage (that I could see.) Now that I have a husband and two young boys, I am grateful for the opportunities I had to observe you as you cared for your family. Thank you, Kristie, for always being there – for always being my friend and for leading by example. I know you are only 6 weeks older than me but you are still my favorite “older” woman. Happy Mother’s Day!
 
posted by Suzanne at 5/14/2006 08:58:00 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I was going to get on here today and ask you to post this! Thanks Suzanne for doing such a great job.
    Kristie-I add my "amen" to everything she said even though I don't get to see you as much now as I used to. What a treat to see you honored on Mother's Day!

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Well, that was a surprise seeing my goofy face when I clicked on The McTwins! Thanks Suzy; thanks Alison.

    Whatever good you might see is a result of God's gracious activity and a dim reflection of the awesome moms around me that I try to follow. Like Bill said, "It's a shocking harvest!"

    Actually earlier this morning, I was getting grumpy with the boys and I thought "Oh, I'm supposed to be a redbud!" Ha!

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Aw, that's so sweet! What a great friendship and testimony you have!