<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14082424?origin\x3dhttp://mctwins.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Thursday, March 29, 2007
I knew this day would come.

Look at these sweet boys sleeping. They feel asleep on the floor....ah, those were the days! (But those were also the days of 2 feedings at night.) Rob has been telling me that this day is coming. I've been in denial for some time now. I think it's here. MY BOYS WON'T TAKE A NAP!

All you experienced moms out there - how do you introduce "quiet time?" My boys share a room, and I don't know where to start. HELP!
 
posted by Suzanne at 3/29/2007 03:45:00 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    When Sam was 2 he stopped taking a nap. Joshua was 1 and was taking a nap in their bedroom so we had "quiet time" together. I would lay in the floor and play quiet games with him or we would get in my bed and read books. Folding laundry and sorting socks happened sometimes too, when the pile was getting too big. So really in a sense I guess I taught them to have a quiet time, by doing it with them. You don't really have any down time that way though which may be what your hoping for.

    Until Noah stopped taking naps, they didn't really have a quiet time by themselves. When they were 6, 5, &3 they started going to their bedroom and basically doing what we had been doing together for the past few years - play a boardgame or read books while I took a nap (I was pregnant.)

    Maybe you could go in their room with them and all read books at the same time. They would have to stay in their beds and you could lay in the floor or something until they got the hang of it.

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger JennGrover

    I have known mom's who's little ones were close enough in age that it made just as much sense to separate the, during "quiet time".

    It still achieved the goal of teaching them about quiet times while not tempting them beyond what they could bear. It set them up to succeed.

    You might even consider a combination of what Kristie suggested and separating them. Stay with them together and read books for a while and then separate them.

    Whatever you decide, I will be praying that God grants you the patience and kindness that He shows us when we are learning something new or transitioning into a new phase of life!

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Cooper Family

    Karis stopped taking a nap when she was two. What happened was Craig cut up her pacifiers after her 2nd birthday party, and she hasn't napped since! Ha-Ha! Can you believe it? Actually, I prefer it, because she goes to bed early and sleeps long (12-13 hours).

    WE have a "rest time" every day. It is a rest in your bed time. She can do three things 1.sleep 2.look at books 3.play with quiet toys in her bed. In the bed is the key! Otherwise, she will pull all of her clothes out of her closet and try them all on. No joke!

    We are going on two years of this, and it's a great time. I have set the timer for a season (60 minutes). This is good time for her.

    The one rule is, she isn't allowed to come out of her room for anything unless it is to use the bathroom. (And she has to stay in bed - so I guess it is two rules!)

    I would recommend separating them though - different rooms. Maybe you could use this to teach them their days of the week or month. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday is Jonathan's turn in Mommy's bed etc.

    How do you teach them to stay in the room? Two words: THE ROD!
    For Karis it has been another wonderful opportunity to instruct her in obedience.
    I will pray for you.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Suzanne

    WOW Ladies! Thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes! I think they'll sleep today because the got up early with no nap yesterday....I hope they nap since we have such a busy weekend.