<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14082424?origin\x3dhttp://mctwins.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Friday, February 09, 2007
Potty Training Update #3
We are six weeks into potty training, and it's going a lot slower than I expected. Rob thinks my expectations are too high. At this point, the boys will use the potty when I ask them to try (usually), but don't tell me when they need to go very often - maybe 30% of the time they will tell me. I recently moved the boys from Pull-ups to padded training pants hoping that it would help them understand that wet feeling. They don't like to pee in their training pants...but that doesn't stop them. However, they think that pooping in their training pants is very funny, and really don't care.

They wear pull-ups when we are away from home. They do a good job before nap time (at 2:00), but after nap until bedtime, they usually have two accidents each.

I know lots of kids have trouble pooping in the potty, but my boys aren't refusing....they just don't do it....they don't ask for a diaper, etc. The only times that they have been successful have been when I saw that "look" on their faces, and made them sit on the potty.

Experienced Moms: Where would you expect your newly 3 year old to be after 6 weeks of training? Any advice?
 
posted by Suzanne at 2/09/2007 09:19:00 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    First of all, it sounds like you have a great attitude about your potty training ventures! This can be a hard time in the life of a twin mom...or any mom for that matter. I remember having to put them on the potty more in the first few weeks. (basically I was potty trained :).)If they had a drink, I'd put them on the potty 20 minutes later or so. It took them three or four weeks to transition to telling me when they had to go. Even then, if they were really focused on playing, I would still send them to the potty...this was for years!! Hang in there, it will happen. If not now, then later.

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Kate

    I wouldn't call myself an "experienced" mom, by any means, but I have potty trained 1 boy. What I have heard from other moms and what I have experienced myself, is that with your first child (or children, in your case), you always want to "will" your kids to do all the stuff other kids are already doing and you feel like something isn't right when they aren't reaching all those milestones. But, with your second, third, fourth, etc... children, you learn become much more laid back about it. With Jack, I wanted him to be potty trained so badly, and worked very hard to make him go. When I finally had enough and quit trying so hard, he basically potty-trained himself at the age of 3 1/2. My twin girls are definitely ready to be potty trained, but I'm stalling because I think I'd rather change a diaper on a road trip or in the grocery store, than have to stop and take them to the bathroom...yuck!! If there is no reason for them to be potty trained now (for daycare requirements or something like that), why worry with it?! Relax and enjoy the diapers for as long as you can.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Cooper Family

    Like our Pediatrician says..."they aren't going to go to college or walk down the aisle in diapers or sucking their thumbs"!

    One thing that helped me with Karis was to make a toilet paper "net" to catch anything that went in. This was especially helpful for #2! We all find ways to help them catch on. They will get it! Hang in there.

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger Michelle

    Rewards worked great for Abigail. I had bought a pack of Starburst one day and she loved them! Once I told her that she could have one if she went poo poo in the potty...she was hooked! So bribery worked well for us!

    Also I still have to remind Abigail to go potty. I think it just takes time for them to master it completely!