<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14082424?origin\x3dhttp://mctwins.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Friday, December 09, 2005
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Rob and I are very excited to see to see The Chronicles of Narnia. Hopefully, this movie will be the first of many installments of Narnia movies. We learned that this movie was in production about 18 months ago and have been looking forward to December 9, 2005 ever since. Although we won't see it on opening day, we're planning to see it next week.

When I was teaching in a public school, I would read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe to my students. It was always fun to watch their eyes light up when they realized that this story is about Jesus and his death and resurrection. How fun to squeeze a little of the Gospel in to a public school!
 
posted by Suzanne at 12/09/2005 03:31:00 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 1:15 AM, Blogger JennGrover

    I saw it tonight. I usually make it a practice to not read the book, it might ruin the movie, however, I had read this book, but a VERY long time ago.

    The movie was great, but Aslan was extremely disappointing. The voice just didn't cut the mustard. They really needed a bass to inspire awe. James Earl Jones would have been my pic. The roar could have been a bit more overwhelming as well. My brother suggested adding Anthony Hopkins to do some narration, and I agree wholeheartedly with him.

    However, the kids were perfect, they could not have been better! Lucy reminded me of my favorite almost 7 year old, Rachel. She was great. The violent scenes were as tasteful as they possible, especially Aslan's death.

    The scene at the very beginning really nicely ties the movie together and demonstrates some fantastic cinematography.

    Grover and Grover gave it two thumbs up.

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm excited to see it! I just got finished reading it to my class. A few of my students, their parents and I are meeting on Sunday to see it after church. Zerita and a few of her students are going a little later that day. My fear is that they have made it "too Hollywood". I'm encouraged by Grover and Grover's review.
    Ara

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Kristie

    The movie is slightly more man-centered than the novels, and I agree that the awe you feel when the "movie" Aslan shows up doesn't measure up to the "literary" Aslan. Kudos, however, for the sadness expressed on the face of Aslan at appropriate times and the White Witch's ability to express fear and defiance simultaneously.

    I must say that the kids were great. How they can act that well when surrounded by props and blank screens (waiting for animation) is amazing to me.

    All in all, a must see, especially as an extension of the books.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Suzanne

    We saw the movie last night. We really enjoyed it! I thought the White Witch was great! The kids did a great job, too.