<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14082424?origin\x3dhttp://mctwins.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Where's the Keys?
The boys and I had an enjoyable dinner with my friend, Johanna, and her daughter, Ada, at Backyard Burger. Our husbands were working that evening, and we decided to meet for dinner. We ate, and the boys played outside in the play area. (It was in the high 50s). Soon it was time to go. Just as I saw Johanna pull onto the road I realized that my keys and my boys (who were strapped in their car seats) were locked in the van. I didn't know what to do. I was hoping that one of them had the keys in their car seat and would push the right button on the keyless entry device. No such luck. After a lady offering to go in the restaurant to get help, borrowing an Auburn fan's cell phone and being resuced by the Knoxville City Fire Department, we are now safe at home. The boys did very well in this crisis. Henry started crying only after strange men were messing with the van. Jonathan didn't make a peep other than to say "keys!"

Kudos to the Fire Department. They didn't make me feel like an idiot. Kudos to the Backyard Burger Staff and the strangers who served me in my time of need! If you ever lock your child in the car and you are in Knox County, the police or fire department will come to your aid. I'm sure it's the same in other places, too. Rob said that Pop-A-Lock will do the same for free. I was grateful that it was such a nice evening.
 
posted by Suzanne at 2/15/2006 09:12:00 PM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Nicole Seitler

    Wow! I'm grateful, too! That must have been some evening...

    So, where were the keys?

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Do you remember the time that Kristie did the same to Samuel when he was baby? It was over at Jennifer Lowe's old condo. We were having a SuperBowl party I think. She had to call Matt who was working at the mall to come over and unlock.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Danielle

    I'm glad the story ended happlily. The same thing happened to my sister when she was 2. My dad was still at home but it was winter and the car was running and he locked her inside. They kept trying to get her to push the automatic button to unlock it but she just smiled . . . I think a clothes hanger eventually did the trick.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Suzanne

    The keys were in the floor by Henry's seat....

    Shelley - I do remember that. He turned out just fine. If my boys could turn out like Samuel, I'd be happy!

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Crystal

    Grateful it ended ok and it wasn't a hot day. The first time I did it was in the mid summer, 2nd was at night (yes more than once - shhh) - Fire Dept. to the rescue. They didn't make me feel like an idiot, but they did bring a lot of unwanted attention when they came racing into the Toys R Us parking lot sirens blaring.
    Did the boys get a stuffed animal from them or get to check out the truck? Ashlyn has a couple (dalmations with fire hats) she was given the 2 times they had to get her out.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Suzanne

    No presents from the firemen or tours of the truck. Thankfully, no sirens blaring either. I'll take that as MY present.

    I was think about baking some cooking and going by the station. Then the boys could see the truck, etc.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Crystal

    That sounds like a nice idea Suzanne.

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    We did the same thing to Grant and Ethan just as we had the van loaded for a trip! It was an evening, so not hot. Grant was concerned but couldn't unbuckle himself to help,Ethan got tired of waiting and fell asleep. The good news is, they don't seem to remember it.