<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14082424?origin\x3dhttp://mctwins.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Thursday, February 09, 2006
A Tribute

Today marks the 11th anniversary of my mom's death. For those who don't know, she was killed instantly when a 16 year old driver slammed into the back of her car pushing her into oncoming traffic. This is the first time in 11 years that this day falls on a Thursday - just like in 1995. I don't know why, but it seems a bit more difficult being on a Thursday. To my friends out there who have lost a parent - Amy, Jenn, Johanna, Jill, Nicole, Marcia, Sandy - you know what this day feels like.

Not many of you had the opportunity to meet her so I thought I would tell you about her. Simply put - my mom was such a joy to be around. She loved to make people laugh. She was always smiling. She was very funny.

She truly loved people! There were over 800 people at her funeral.

She was a loyal and dependable person.

She was a very hard worker.

She had very curly hair...unlike mine - my hair doesn't even curl with a perm for more than 3 weeks.

She had horrible vision. She repeated 2nd grade two times. After the teacher finally figured out that she couldn't see, she got glasses. As a former teacher, that really makes my heart sink.

She once fell off the back porch steps and injured her foot really bad. She was thankful that our nosey neighbors were being nosey that day. They ran across an acre to help her.

She was "Aunt Mary" to more than just her blood nieces and nephews.

She loved to mow the yard.

She loved her children and grandchild, Drew.

She and my dad were married for 33 years. They married in 1961.

She successfully taught me how to drive. My dad and I didn't do well with this task.

She was an extremely patient person (thus the above comment).

She could whistle like no one else. My cousins lived about 100 yards away from our house. She would whistle to let us know it was time to come home.

She is now rejoicing in heaven with her Lord!

For those who knew my mom, please comment on your favorite things about her or your favorite memory!
 
posted by Suzanne at 2/09/2006 07:24:00 AM | Permalink |


23 Comments:


  • At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suzanne

    Thank you.

    You said it all. She would have adored Henry, Jonathan, and Adam.

    She would have been very proud of you.

    Mike

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Gosh, I miss your mom! She was like a mom to all of us. There was so much fun and love and laughter in your home. It was where everyone wanted to be. I think your home will be like that, too, because you are so much like your mom.

    Do you remember her standing on the toilet to try to take a picture of all of us standing like sardines in your bathtub? Why?

    She would be so thrilled to see where you are today, and she would love, love, love those twin boys.

    I'm sorry this day is especially hard. I will be praying for you. I love you.

    Amy Koehn

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow...thanks for making me sob like a baby this morning! Your tribute to your mom is perfect. I miss her so much. There really isn't a day that goes by that something doesn't remind me of her.

    She was definitely a "people person", but especially adored kids. I can just imagine her in heaven looking down on your boys and smiling from ear to ear telling everyone that those are her grandchildren. I can actually see her standing there, as proud as any parent could be of what a wonderful daughter you are, and what an incredible wife and mother you've become. I like to think of this world as her "brag book". She's up there in heaven telling everyone she sees about all of her kids, including you and Mike, your kids, all of her nieces and nephews, great nieces and great nephews, and even kids that weren't related by blood but hold a very special place in her heart.

    I'm sorry this day is so hard for you. I'll be praying that somehow these comments will bring you peace and joy. We definitely miss her, but rejoice to know that one day we will see her again!

    We all love you!

    Regina Lee

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suzanne, I didn't know your mom but from what you wrote down about her... I do know her... it's you... without curly hair... so I've known all the best things about her since I met you. All my love and prayers for you today, Johanna

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Randy & Sarah

    Thank you so much for doing this Suzanne.

    I miss my Aunt Mary so much. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her or want to see her. She was the most wonderful person in the world.

    I spent lots of time with her, as she lived only one house away from us. I can remember all kinds of things that she did, but she was such a funny person, I have to share this to make you all laugh and see what a fun person she was.

    She and my Mother (Aunt Mac to Suzanne) were at the chiropracters office. She was on the "bed" laying flat on her stomach. My Mother was in the chair in the corner.
    The doctor came in and began talking with Mom and Aunt Mary. He told a funny joke and Aunt Mary began to laugh. Well she let out a huge "pooty" and everyone just stopped and stared at her. Then they all started laughing again and Aunt Mary kept "tooting" everytime she'd laugh.

    Her laugh was so contageous!

    I can remember when I use to go over there and help her babysit the kids she kept. During naptime, she would pop some popcorn and then add chocolate chips to it and we would sit and watch Days of Our Lives together. She was a huge Bo and Hope and Roman and Marlena fan!

    I have way too many memories of her to share, but those are a few of my favorites. If I think of another good one, I'll be back to share.

    I love and miss Aunt Mary so much. I am just so glad that we will be able to be reunited with her in the future as she is looking down on us from heaven loving to be able to watch us all.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    What a wonderful tribute to "Aunt Mary"! I loved her and miss her all the time. I have even used her in my work, and still do today. As a police officer assigned to the traffic unit, everytime I stop a teenager with the "I'm gonna live forever" attitude, I remind them just how quickly someone elses life can be forever changed because of the way they drive. This has made me more compassionate in my work. Aunt Mary loved Linda, my wife. So much so that one day her and Cindy reminded me that if anything ever happened to us as a couple, they were going to keep her and let me go...ha. Well, it's been 20 years now, I think it'll last. We love you all and thank God for such a wonderful family!!
    Phil & Linda
    Nashville

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I am glad you shared about your mom in a post. Thanks for sharing your mom with all of us.

    Jenn (can't log in on my pda)

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Kristie

    Your mom was so fun. She always had a smile for everyone and loved caring for people. You couldn't be with her without experiencing her care, whether it be a listening ear or good advice or food (which was my favorite!) In fact, I got to enjoy her famous popcorn treat one time, but she used m&m's instead of choc.chips.
    She was always genuinely thrilled to have folks in her home. Truly a hospitable and compassionate woman whose children "rise up and call her blessed"

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    After Sat. night, it is so great to read about your mom and what an honor you gave her. Iy is very clear to ne, now, why you are the way you are. She left you with great strength and that love for others. So sorry you missed the curly hair, I can relate to that.

    Marcia

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Suzanne

    This is an email from Laura:
    One thing I remember about her was the day we went to Sam's (I think that is where we went). She was so warm and affectionate. I remember when she dropped us off in front of entrance of South Carrick (maybe it was just me) she hugged me warmly and told me she loved me. Still remember it today. I think I only met her twice but felt cared for. Then another time a bunch of us all went to her home before seeing Stephen Curtis Chapman (remember Brad looking like him! Hilarious). We had hamburgers and remember feeling right at home. She was a woman with love brimming. I am sure it brings her great joy to see where you are at now - your love for Christ has only deepened, your husband who cherishes you and you him, your two boys, and seeing how you rise up and honor and love her now.

    I will be praying for you today.

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suzanne, I thank you, also. You said everything so well. She would have been proud of you and Mike and loved her grand children as I do. Thank you for this tribute to her. Dad

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Thank you Suzanne for such a wonderful tribute to Aunt Mary. I miss her too. Even though I was only little I can still remember how loving and precious she was to me. I can still see myself sitting on her fireplace or playin High Ho Cherry O's in her living room. I wish that my little sister could remember what a wonderful person she was. I told her that she was a lot like Aunt Mary. Just herself and no one else. We'll all see her in heaven someday and I can't wait.

    Ashley Shuler

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suzanne

    Thank you so very much for the tribute to Mary. I often think of her, infact there is not a week that has gone by in 11 years that I haven't thought about her. She was such a roll model in my life. I never thought of her as Tommy's Aunt, I thought of her as my best friend, as well as a mother figure. She helped in raising my Ashley, and showed tender love to my Whitney. Ashley speaks of her often. I just want you to know that Mary was a big influence in my life. I miss her so very much. I don't know if you know this or not, but Mary came to Tom and I in a dream one night on the same night shortly after she died and told us both that everything was alright. Only she held Tommy's face and held my hands!!! You were so blessed to have a mother like her. She blessed many people in her lifetime. She was definately "MY ANGEL". God Bless you and your beautiful family. You are doing a wonderful job and you are much like your mother. I love you, Sherry Shuler

     
  • At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow, 11 years. And it seems she hasn't been gone but for a while. I remember getting together on the 23rd of every December and being so excited about Christmas. Mary Ruth, as we called her, was nothing but bubbles of joy and laughter. Even in the middle of a chaotic day, she kept on the Sunny Side. I remember there was a bunch of stuff going on for someone's graduation and the phone kept ringing off the hook and she would pick up and say "Graduation Headquarters" never getting bogged down. An inspiration to many. And still here among us.

    Cindy

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suzanne,
    Oh my, what a tribute to your mom, my sister, Mary!! I was warned to get the tissues before reading this tribute. When I saw your dad yesterday at Wal-Mart I told him then that Mary would have enjoyed and loved all of her grandsons. Grandchildren are wonderful!!!

    I'm proud today of you and Mike both. Your mom was proud of both of you while she was alive but I feel she is beaming with pride today at the accomplishments you and Mike have both made over the last 11 years. Also, she would be very proud of her grandsons as well as Melissa and Rob. She loved her family very much.

    Mary was always doing something for somebody. I remember in the early morning hours of one July night I had to call her to come and stay with my own children while I took Raymond to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. Even that early in the morning she didn't hesitate. She was at my house within minutes. She and your dad took me to see Raymond while he was serving active duty in Mississippi. We had good times while on vacations together. She had Mike four days after helping Raymond and I move into our new home. Wow, that's nearly 37 years ago. I could go on and on.

    I speak for us all when I say Mary is still truly missed. She was a blessing to everyone she met.

    My prayers are with you.

    Aunt Carolyn

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Very well put, Suzanne, and very well put by everyone in the comments section. I can't add much to what has already been said - Aunt Mary truly demonstrated the love and joy of Christ in her life! She was like a second mom to me and I miss her. I wish that my kids could have known her but I am glad to have the assurance that they can one day meet her in heaven!

    Scott A.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suz, I was so moved by your tribute to Mary. She was exactly as you described her . . . always loving and laughing. My mother died a week after Mary did, and as much as I loved my mother, Mary's death hurt me worse. Mom was sick and couldn't get well. But Mary was so full of life and still had so much to give. As I remember, she was on her way to help her nephew when she got killed. I came upon the wreck on my way home from work that day. I remember seeing the mangled car up against the pole, but had no idea it was Mary's. Ken was working that day, but he was not the one who worked the crash. I couldn't get the image of that car out of my mind --something about it bothered me. Then Margaret Barnes called and told me that Mary had died in a car wreck, and I knew immediately that was her car I saw. I was all alone, and I broke down and sobbed like I've never cried before or since. She was the sister I never had, and my whole family loved being with you guys -- all of you. I still go visit her grave when I go to my parents' graves. Even in death, she draws people to her. There will never be another Mary (you're probably the closest they'll come, though). When I receive your blogs, I always think about how Mary would have loved taking care of your boys, as she did every child. I know she is in Heaven looking down on her "handiwork" of you and Mike with your families. What a wonderful legacy! And Charlie gets a lot of credit, too. He was a very "hands-on" dad and adored his children! Just wanted to tell him that while he's still here. I miss all of you. My best memories of Indian Springs lie within your family and Cassidy UMC. Thanks for sharing memories of your Mom.

    Love and prayers,
    Connie

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger Nicole Seitler

    I agree--when I read you describe your mom, I felt like I knew her because I know you. I admire your courage in celebrating this day. I like to hide from such memories. If I don't focus instead on how good God has been to me, I'll totally break down. :\ This year it will be 20 years that my mom has been gone, and it seems insane to now count that high.

    I'm so glad you have so many good memories of your mom. I'm so glad that you know she is with our Savior. Precious things indeed.

    I'm sending you lots of love and hugs.

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Nicole Seitler

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suzanne I had to wait a couple of days before I could reply to this. First I want to Thank You for this tribute to your Mom. Not a day goes by that I don't think of your Mom. She has been truly missed. I miss her guidance, her help, her laughter, her funny jokes, and her love. She would call and say "Get your shoes on were going places" and we did. If we were outside in the backyard and she was in hers, your mom and Uncle Steve would have a whistling contest to see you could be the loudest and the longest. Oh what fun she always was to be around. Your Mom was so proud of you, Mike, Melissa, and Drew. She would have loved to show all her grandchildren's pictures to everyone. I'm sure she is looking down with pride today with your christian mate, Rob and your two special blessings from God. She would have loved being around Drew, Adam, Jonathan and Henry. We love and miss your Mom everyday. I still think she had a hand in naming your boys.(She always called one of the kids that were around her JohnHenry!)

    We love you and your family!

    Aunt Mac and Uncle Steve

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Suzanne~
    Your mother was such a special person....will always treasure the memory I have of her...she shared so many recipes with me...I have used one of hers yearly even to this very day!!!...PUMPKIN BREAD...I share it with schoolkids, people at church and my family...have never found one I like even close to hers!! She was truly a wonderful person, treated me so nicely in school, and certainly did love her family....she sent me pictures every Christmas of you and Mike....what a great homeroom mom she was!! Thanks for letting me give her this honor.....I loved her.

    Teresa Calhoun

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Suzanne

    Here's a note from my nephew, Drew.

    I just recently read your article on grandma and I would like to say that I appreicate you taking your time in doing so. It helps revive those few fading memories I still retain.

    -Drew

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I remember when, as we were kids, I shot Mary in the chin with a BB gun. It could have been her eye. Only the Lord or His angels were watching over us.
    Mary was full of fun. She kept us laughing most of the time when we had get-togethers.
    She was a very compassionate person, always heoping those in need.
    I remember her coming to Birmingham when I had surgery on my neck. Michael was a small child and she also brought Mama with her. They didn't stay long, but it meant a lot to me.
    Mary was a good listener. If I had a problem and called her, she would always listen.
    Also, I remember Mary as a good Mother. Just look at Michael and Suzanne today. She helped make you as you are today.
    Last, but not least, Mary was a good Christian and showed others that she was a born again person. Her life shined through Jesus. We know we'll see her again one day.