<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14082424?origin\x3dhttp://mctwins.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Saturday, May 27, 2006
Garage Sale Results
After getting up at 5:30, and working like crazy people until our first customers arrived at 6:42 (to a 7:30) garage sale, we are finished! We are all worn out! But we did enjoy spending 10 hours with Brian and Zerita. Thanks to my mother-in-law for volunteering to watch the boys!

Here's a recap of our profits:
Garage Sale Total (4 families) - $555.70
We made $321.05! We were thrilled with that total. When you add in the Ebay, consignment, and the used book sales we are at a grand total of $485 which is going straight into our vacation fund - except the money for dinner after the sale! All the work was definitely worth it.

What did I learn from this sale?
1. Sort your kids' clothes by size in bins.
2. Don't take a shower - you'll get all sweaty.
3. Selling cold drinks is smart - especially when it's 87 degrees!
4. Have plans to get rid of the things that don't sell. Then you don't have to look at it.
5. Have plenty of bags for peoples' purchases.
4. Have fun!







BEFORE SHOT
This is just a small portion of all the stuff!



TOYS!
















We couldn't even sell this chair for a dime! It went to the dump!











This picture is in honor of our friends, Brad (Chandra's husband) and Laura. The four of us took a picture just like this while shopping for a Christmas party for our Singles' Ministry about 5 years ago. Wish you two could have been in the picture!







AFTER SHOT















A tired Rob removes all the signs
 
posted by Suzanne at 5/27/2006 04:27:00 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Kelvin

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Kristie

    Hooray! You guys did an awesome job. Glad it turned out so well!

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Zoanna

    Congratulations. That is an amazing total. Tell me how you priced stuff, what your location was (main road), did you advertise in a local paper or just use signs? What sold the best? What was your highest-priced sale? Sorry about all the questions. I am just trying to learn (plus I'm a little on the nosy side :0.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger Suzanne

    Zoanna,
    Let's see...I sold a lot of baby clothes. We were abundantly blessed by others when I was pregnant with the boys....so we had a lot! I priced kids shirts, shorts, pants .25 to .50 - depending on how nice/worn it was. I priced jeans, overalls around $1. I put lower price items like socks, onesies, knit hats, receiving blankets, etc in ziplock baggies and priced them as a set.

    We live about a mile off a major road in our city. Our subdivision is in a good area because we get a lot of traffic. We put signs at the major intersections and others leading to our subdivision. Overall, we had signs on 1 major road and two very busy 2 lane roads. We did put an ad in the paper this time. It ran for two days. Last sale (in August) we didn't do this. I don't think we sold as much then.

    Baby/kids clothes sold well. Generally I would ask the person looking through the clothes what size(s) they were looking for and then I started searching with them. Adult clothes do not sell well at garage sales. Toys didn't sell well which was surprising to me.

    Large ticket (and large in size) items that sold
    Excersie Equipment
    Patio Chairs
    Antique Patio Set
    HUGE Christmas Wreath
    Kitchen table, chairs
    16 ft. ladder
    tools - sold quickly!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Nicole Seitler

    I'd say after years of VFC garage sales, you'd be ready for your own major sale. ;) Looks like you had fun, too. :)

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Suzanne

    Nicole - I never helped with the VFC sale. It was after my time.

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Randy & Sarah

    Way to Go! That's so great with the sale! When we moved from MO to VA we had one and sold almost $600 worth of junk! It went to our move. :)